Why Stinging Insects Season Seems To Be Endless In Alexander City
The concept of something being endless can either be a blessing or a curse. For instance, consider the difference between endless steak at a buffet as opposed to endless rain on a beach day. One makes for an exciting dining experience, the other ruins what was going to be a great day. Here in Alexander City, endless is a common thing, and one thing that seems endless is stinging insect season. You hear about bees, wasps, and hornets going away during the winter months up north, so why don’t they go away here? Today we will be talking about this and figuring out why stinging insects here in Alexander City seem endless.
When Stingers Are Most Active
As we have already established, stinging insect season in Alexander City seems to be endless. This has to do mostly with our consistently high temperatures. Although our temperatures drop low enough to see stinging insects slow down during the winter, we rarely see the freezing weather needed for them to go away entirely. But summer is when you can expect to see them most often and when your property is at its highest risk.
Things You Can Do To Avoid Stingers
When you are out and about, how often do you find yourself running into stinging insects? Is it more often than you would like? If so, here is our list of tips and tricks to avoid being stung.
- Avoid wearing fragrances, especially ones with a floral or sweet smell. Some common fragrances stingers are attracted to include scented soaps, hair spray, lotions, oils, and perfumes.
- Be careful when eating or drinking sweets or meats when outdoors. Bees are notorious for climbing into cans or bottles of sweet drinks and stinging when someone takes a sip.
- Avoid wearing bright-colored clothing, especially clothing with floral patterns. If a stinging insect thinks you are a sweet plant, they might show you unwanted attention.
- Keep an eye out for active nests since getting too close can cause stingers to become aggressive and swarm you.
- Keep an eye out for wasps' nests made in holes in the ground.
Following these tips will greatly reduce your chances of being stung when out and about. But the best way to prevent stings is to make sure you have no stinging insects' nests on your property.
When To Call In The Experts
If you are seeing a high number of stinging insects, its time to call in the pros here at Top Gun. We will send one of our highly trained pest experts your ways ASAP to inspect for and eliminate any stinging insects' nests on your property.
Don’t let stinging insects threaten your time outdoors, trust Top Gun today! We have your back.