What Termite Swarmers Could Mean For Your Alexander City Property
April 15, 2021 - Termites
Too many people think of pest problems in Alexander City only after they start. The problem with this approach is that it leaves people without crucial information that can stop pest infestations from starting in the first place. With destructive pests like termites, this lack of knowledge can result in costly damage and irreversible side effects.
Termite Season: An Overview
All most people know about termites is that they chew through wood and that you don’t want them to get inside your walls. But it’s also important to understand how termite colonies form, so you can spot the early signs around your property. We call the time of year when colonies first start, “termite season.” During termite season, flying termites called alates emerge from mature colonies to find new areas to start their own colonies. These alates, commonly called swarmers, target the most attractive properties, places with loose soils for them to tunnel into and accessible wood for them to feed on. Once they’ve found a suitable spot, they shed their wings and begin cranking out new termites. That’s right, these winged swarmers are the reproductive members of termite colonies, which is why spotting them and preparing for them is key in preventing larger termite issues.
Preparing For Swarms
It’s this understanding of termite swarms that helps people to realize just how far a single termite problem can spread. A mature colony even remotely close to your property can produce swarmers that settle down in your yard. That’s where termite infestations tend to start: outside. Termites burrow through soils, typically near yard debris or vegetation that they can feed on initially. Then, as their colonies grow in size and number, they push into structures and move inside of walls or underneath the floorboards. That’s why it’s important to regularly inspect your property, both inside and out, and look for signs of termites. Here are things to watch for:
- Wings: The discarded wings of swarmers themselves are often the first and only sign people receive that a termite colony has formed in their yard.
- Mounds: Some termite species form mounds above the ground, which are far easier to notice than subterranean tunnels.
- Mud tubes: Termites live their lives under the soil. When they are forced to travel near the surface they create mud tubes to stay undercover.
Damaged trees & bushes: If you notice holes in bark or notice that some of your decorative plants seem to be leaning uncannily, these can be signs of termites in your yard.
How To Prevent Termites
Being prepared for termite swarms and knowing how to spot the signs is only part of the equation when it comes to preventing infestations. You also need to curb the factors that make your property attractive or accessible to them in the first place. All of these are factors you should pay attention to:
- Wood storage: Yards with firewood or other dead plant debris make for attractive targets for alates looking for quick food sources for their offspring.
- Moisture control: Many termites specifically target damp woods and all of them are attracted to areas where moisture pools or builds up. Addressing yard drainage and keeping up on plumbing maintenance will reduce water buildup on your property.
- Crack sealing: Termites can easily gain access to interior woods thanks to even small cracks and holes in your exterior. Routinely check for and address any that you find.
The Best Protection From The Pros
Not all of these things are factors that you can control on your property, which is why it’s better to be thorough rather than try to handle termite control all by yourself. At Top Gun Pest Control, we offer the best protection against termites in Alexander City, more than at-home methods can accomplish. First, we provide trained expert to check your property for signs of termites or factors that might attract them, which can easily be missed. Once we’ve determined your level of risk, we can specifically target ways to prevent termites and eliminate them from your property quickly. That’s the kind of protection that’s necessary to truly make sure you don’t learn the hard way just how much damage termites can cause. For protection from termites done the right way, contact Top Gun Pest Control today.