The Trick To Getting Rid Of Ants On Your Alexander City Property
July 17, 2021 - Ants
It’s that time of year again - homeowners in Alexander City and across Alabama have found their lawns covered in ant mounds, and many of them have even started finding ants making their way inside.
The climate around Alexander City is perfect for ants to thrive, making preventing them an incredibly difficult task. For the average homeowner working on their own, it can even be impossible. However, there is one key step you can take to both eliminate active ant infestations in Alexander City and prevent them from happening in the future - get ongoing ant treatment services from the pros. We’ll explain why in this blog.
Common Ants Around Alexander City
It’s important to know what your home is up against. While there are countless ant species found across North America, there are a few that comprise the most frequent household invaders. These include:
- Fire ants: small red ants that get their name from both their appearance and the painful stings they leave behind, making them unique among ants. Range from 1/16 inch - 1/4 inch in length.
- Argentine ants: minuscule brown ants that measure about 0.06 - 0.1 inches. These types of ants are commonly found indoors since their small size gives them the ability to crawl into the tiniest possible holes or cracks in search of food.
- Odorous house ants: small black ants that range from about 1/8 - 3/16 inches in length. They are named for the foul odor they give off when crushed or threatened.
- Pavement ants: small black ants about 1/10 - 1/8 inch in length. They are named for the territory where they are most found, crawling along the pavement on sidewalks and around concrete structures.
- Pharaoh ants: medium-sized ants about 1/6 inch in length and identified by their pale yellow coloration. Often found close around sugary food and drinks.
- Crazy ants: small black ants that range about 1/8 inch in length. These are named for their erratic movement patterns - going off and seemingly wandering in all directions, unlike most ants that move in organized lines.
- Carpenter ants: large brown ants that range from about 1/3 to one inch in length. Carpenter ants operate by tunneling into wood, making them a huge threat to the structural integrity of your home. This is why they are considered the worst of the worst ant to have.
The Problem With DIY Ant Treatments
The problem with ants mostly comes down to two factors: they’re so small, and there are so many of them.
While ants almost inevitably end up getting settled in your yard before making their way into your home, if they become widespread enough around your property, some getting inside is almost inevitable. Due to their small size, they can get into almost anywhere. And once one scout finds their way into your home and reports back, they’ll start finding their way inside in large numbers.
These factors are also the major factors that make them so difficult for homeowners to treat working on their own. They are often unaware or unable to adequately treat the areas where the ants are coming from, and/or they are unable to treat all the ants on the property. If you fail to treat all the ants present, it’s only a short matter of time before they rebuild their numbers.
For this reason, it’s always recommended to call a professional for ant treatments when they come inside. And in Alexander City, there’s no one better than Top Gun.
Why Choose Top Gun For Comprehensive Ant Control
Top Gun is all about creating the highest-quality home pest control and commercial pest control services possible. We are the best of the best when it comes to pest control in Alabama. We take pride in our business and have all the tools and techniques necessary to eliminate ant infestations of any shape and size. Contact us today for more information about why comprehensive ant treatment is the perfect catch-all trick to getting rid of ants on your property.