The Best Ant Control Advice Alexander City Homeowners Can Hear
May 14, 2020 - Ants
Alabama is home to some very frustrating ant pests. Carpenter ants get into our homes and damage the wood. Pharaoh ants spread pathogens. (All ants have the ability to spread harmful bacteria.) Crazy ants get into electronics and vehicles. Odorous house ants get in and stink up the place. And fire ants sting us while we're trying to enjoy time outside. There are so many ways ants can impact our lives. But this isn't the worst part. Often, homeowners spend money and expend time and energy to get rid of ants only to have their ant problems continue. Or grow. If you're dealing with ants, the best ant control advice you can hear is expert advice from professionals who deliver ant control services in Alexander City all the time. Here are some tips from experts at Top Gun Pest Control.
You may have an ant problem because something is attracting ants to your yard or to the perimeter around your home. If you address these attractants, ants may stop getting inside. What attracts ants? Here are a few of the most common attractants.
Moisture — Ants target moisture points. If you have pipes that are leaking or weeping, ants will take notice. If you have standing water, ants will be drawn to them like an oasis in a desert. If you have objects that lie on the ground and provide dampness underneath, you'll have lots of ants. This is especially true of lumber, firewood, leaves, grass clippings, and other organic materials.
Food — There are many things an ant will eat. If an ant finds food around your home, it will want to stay. There are a few ways you can remove food options.
- Keep your trash receptacles clean and remove your trash from your property routinely. The scent of trash lures ants in.
- Clean up juice spills inside and outside.
- Move bird feeders away from your exterior. Ants grab the seeds that fall to the ground.
- Reduce or remove exterior lights at night. These attract aphids and other insects that produce honeydew. Many ants species prefer to eat honeydew.
Ants get in because they can. If you take the time to seal potential points of entry around and inside your Alexander City home, you can remove potential paths ants can use to get inside.
- Use a caulking gun to seal gaps around exterior wall penetrations, such as pipes, wire conduit, window and door frames, exhaust vents, etc.
- Apply a seal to interior gaps around windows, sinks, counters, and cabinets.
- Make sure your screens are in good working condition.
- Check to make sure you have door sweeps and that they are not damaged.
- Replace damaged weatherstripping around doors.
- Trim branches that touch the exterior of your home to remove bridges that ants may use to get to entry points that are higher up and more difficult to seal.
When ants establish themselves inside, or create nests in your yard, it is necessary to apply treatments that work to eliminate the entire colony. Spraying ants will not get the job done. In fact, it can make your problem worse. You need to identify the ant species you're dealing with, select a bait that they will take, and deploy the bait in locations that ant workers are traveling. This is best done by a licensed pest professional because it requires an education in pest identification and control. If you live in Alexander City, reach out to Top Gun Pest Control. We know the ant pests in our area and we have the training and experience to arrest ant infestations. You don't have to go it alone.