Managing Mice Infestations In Alexander City
November 15, 2019 - Mice
When you go up to your attic to store some old boxes of books or board games, you’re probably not going to be looking for signs of mice while you’re there. However, it’s important to keep an eye out for signs of a mouse infestation, especially now that we’re experiencing some colder weather.
A Few Ways You Can Identify A Mouse Infestation
- Grease and dirt stains across baseboards, walls, and low furniture
- Gnaw marks on tables, chairs, shelves, wires, pipes, or other items
- Scurrying and squeaking sounds within your walls, especially during the night
- Small holes where mice have chewed through boxed or bagged food items
- Tiny black droppings in your cupboards, drawers, attic, and shelves
- Nesting materials such as shredded paper, cloth, or ripped insulation
Are Mice Infestations Dangerous?
Many people speak about the damage mice can cause with their constant chewing. Mice are known to chew on furniture, personal items, piping, wires and many other materials. However, the dangers mice cause go further than being destructive to your Alexander City property.
Mice are carriers of several diseases, pathogens, and parasites. These small home-invading pests are even capable of spreading diseases through their urine and feces! A few of the most notable diseases mice spread include Salmonella, Hantavirus, and Leptospirosis. Rodent infestations can often cause a secondary infestation of fleas and/or ticks, which raises a wide variety of other health concerns.
Mouse Prevention Tips
Mice are one of the most common property-invading pests across the United States, especially during the colder months. A good way to avoid mouse infestations is by reducing points of entry and available food sources around your Alexander City home. These pesky rodents can even squeeze through openings the size of a nickel. Mice have strong front teeth that can chew through wood, rubber, plastic, and drywall. To keep mice out of your home this season, consider a few of these helpful rodent prevention tips.
- Locate and seal all holes, cracks, and crevices around the exterior of your home. This includes gaps made for utilities and uncovered vents.
- Remove clutter from the interior and exterior of your home. Less clutter means less available hiding spots for mice and other rodents.
- Keep your garbage cans sealed and stored away from your exterior walls.
- Store food items in the refrigerator or in airtight containers instead of boxes or bags.
- Clean regularly, including behind heavy appliances.
- Replace torn window or door screens.
Some Alexander City homeowners try to remove their mouse problems with the help of mouse traps. While mouse traps can reduce mice populations in your home, they probably won't eliminate the entire infestation. The best way to remove existing rodent problems and prevent future infestations from occurring is with the help of the pest professionals here at Top Gun Pest Control. We offer several affordable pest control and management services to cover a wide range of pest problems. To learn more about our home pest control or commercial pest control services, contact Top Gun Pest Control today! Reach out to us today for a free inspection.