Don't Let Carpet Beetles Ruin Your Alexander City Home
May 15, 2022 - Carpet Beetles
Most Alexander City homeowners are familiar with the common housefly and the destructive termite. But another common home invader is often overlooked: the carpet beetle. Carpet beetles are tiny insects that can cause big problems.
They're attracted to homes with a lot of fabric, including carpets, clothing, and upholstered furniture. If you think you might have carpet beetles in your Alexander City home, act fast. These pests can do a lot of damage in a short period. Pest control in Alexander City can help get rid of them and protect your home.
What Does A Carpet Beetle Look Like?
Carpet beetles are small, round, and can be a variety of colors. The most common carpet beetle is the black carpet beetle, which is dark brown or black. Carpet beetles range in size from 1/16 to 1/4 of an inch long.
These pests get their name from their tendency to feed on carpets and other fabrics made from natural fibers like wool, silk, and fur. Carpet beetles can also damage synthetic materials like polyester and acrylic. If you have fabric-covered furniture, carpet beetles could also feed on it.
How To Tell If There Is Carpet Beetle Larvae In Your Home
Carpet beetle larvae in your home are the most destructive stage of this pest. They're small, worm-like creatures that are light brown or tan. Carpet beetle larvae have long, hairy bodies and can be up to one-half inch long.
These pests are often mistaken for clothes moths, but there are some key differences. Clothes moth larvae spin cocoons, while carpet beetle larvae don't. Clothes moth larvae also have a "Y" shaped marking on the back of their heads, while carpet beetle larvae don't.
If you see carpet beetle larvae in your home, it's important to call a professional right away. These pests can cause severe damage to your belongings unless removed quickly.
Signs Of A Carpet Beetle Infestation
Carpet beetles are expert hiders, so it can be difficult to tell if you have an infestation. However, some of the telltale signs of carpet beetle infestation include:
- Live beetle: If you spot carpet beetle on your wall, windowsill, or furniture, you likely have an infestation.
- Damage to fabrics: Carpet beetles will feed on any material they can find, including carpets, clothes, and furniture. You might see damage to these items if you have a carpet beetle infestation.
- Shedding skin: As the carpet beetle larvae grow, they'll shed their skin. You might find these shed skins on fabrics or the floor.
- Droppings: Carpet beetle droppings in your home are a sure sign of an infestation. These droppings are small, black, and look like pepper.
Call a professional immediately if you see any of these signs in your home. Carpet beetle treatment is most effective when done early. Don't hesitate to contact a pest control contractor if you think you might have an infestation.
Tips And Tricks To Total Carpet Beetle Removal
Carpet beetles are difficult to get rid of, but it's not impossible.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you get rid of carpet beetles in your home:
- Vacuum regularly: Be sure to vacuum carpets, furniture, and any other areas where you think carpet beetles might be hiding.
- Wash fabrics: Wash clothes, bedding, and any other materials in your home regularly.
- Store food properly: Be sure to keep food in airtight containers and clean up any spills immediately.
- Eliminate clutter: Declutter your home to eliminate hiding spots for these pests.
If you follow these tips, you can get rid of carpet beetles in your home. However, if you have a severe infestation, contact Top Gun Pest Control. We understand how frustrating it can be to deal with these pests, and we're here to help.
We'll work quickly and efficiently to get rid of the problem so you can get back to your life. We offer guarantees on all of our pest services. Contact us today for a free consultation or how we can help you with your commercial pest control needs.