Common Termite Signs In Alexander City Homes
March 15, 2022 - Termites
For being one of the most utterly destructive pests on the planet, termites can also be incredibly difficult to detect. In fact, it's usually due to how stealthy they are that the damage they inflict is able to mount so much. These wood-eating insects are responsible for billions of dollars in property damage every single year, and they're looking at your Alexander City home next. Don't let them swarm over your property — know the signs of a burgeoning infestation and stop them before it's too late. Read on, and we'll outline exactly how.
Common Species Of Termite In Alexander City
Termites are eusocial (organized socially within a colony) insects that feed on and nest inside the cellulose structure of wood. They resemble large ants with disproportionately large heads and prominent mandibles, which they use to great destructive effect. It's important to know how to distinguish each species of termite common to our area, since each one has its own set of habits and preferred habitat. Here is a list of the biggest threats you'll face:
- Subterranean termites are the most common variety you'll find infesting homes. They construct characteristic mud tunnels to protect themselves from the sun as they travel.
- Drywood termites, true to their name, prefer dry climates and hard wood with low moisture content. Most homes are constructed using the exact sort of wood these insects want to eat.
- Dampwood termites are recognizable by their dark orange coloration. They prefer wood with a much higher moisture content, making them less of a threat to your home, but still highly dangerous if you have excess moisture, and they'll eat any wooden structures outside in the elements, such as fence posts or swing sets.
Termite Signs To Look For In Alexander City Homes
A surefire sign that you have a serious termite problem on your hands is if you notice any of the insects themselves creeping about your property, especially if they're sporting a pair of wings. Termites are generally quite stealthy, so you'll likely have to rely on the less direct signs of their presence. Watch out for:
- Shed wings from their reproductive swarmers littered around your home
- Mazelike tunnels of damage or pinholes in walls and other wood
- Excessively creaky floorboards, loose tiles, or sagging walls
- Doors or windows becoming suddenly stuck
- Distinctive mounds of wood shavings and fecal droppings left near baseboards
- Distinctive mud tunnels traveling up your walls
- Suspicious sounds or scents emanating from inside your walls
How Much Damage Can Termites Cause In Alexander City?
Termite infestations often go unnoticed for quite some time, with the damage growing almost invisibly until it's impossible to miss anymore. These highly efficient insects will wreak havoc on your home if you let them. There's a good reason they've garnered such a terrible reputation among so many homeowners. They never need to stop eating until there's nothing left, so it's of the utmost importance to catch them early and take decisive action.
How To Handle Termites In Your Alexander City Home
Due to their prolific breeding cycle and stealthy nature, it's almost impossible to take care of a termite infestation on your own. Ultimately, almost every case of termites will require professional pest control assistance. The experts at Top Gun Pest Control have got you covered. If you suspect you've got termites in or near your home, reach out to us at once, and we'll take care of the rest. Our certified technicians come equipped with the cutting edge of tools and methods to completely remove every last termite from your property in a timely manner. Call now to schedule your inspection, and save your house from these voracious invaders.