Alexander City's Complete Guide To Pharaoh Ant Control
Tiny pharaoh ants are some of the most frustrating pests to deal with. These minuscule ants can contaminate your food and cause endless stress. Worse, trying to eliminate an infestation with pesticides can make pharaoh ants even harder to get rid of. If you’ve been dealing with pharaoh ants in Alexander City, here’s what you need to know.
What Are Pharaoh Ants?
Pharaoh ants are a small species of ant thought to originate from Africa. They measure between 1/16 and 1/8 inch in length and are yellow in color. They are sometimes mistaken for the similarly small thief ant but can be distinguished by their yellow color versus the thief ant’s reddish-brown color.
A pharaoh ant colony typically has thousands of members and multiple queens. They are often found nesting indoors in out-of-reach areas like wall voids, behind baseboards, and under floors. Pharaoh ants tend to nest in humid areas near a reliable source of food. They have a penchant for sweets and greasy foods but are also known to spread disease.
Pharaoh ants can contaminate food and surfaces with pathogens and transmit diseases like salmonellosis and Streptococcus pyogenes. When threatened, pharaoh ants will split up their colony in a behavior called “budding.” The main colony will divide up into several smaller colonies, which causes the infestation to become more widespread and harder to control.
What Attracts Pharaoh Ants?
Like many pests, pharaoh ants are attracted to food and water. If a scouting ant is able to find a morsel of food or a sugary spill, it won’t be long before a swarm of tiny worker ants is on the scene. Factors like food residue from cooking or eating, open garbage bins, and open containers of snacks in the pantry are all likely to attract pharaoh ants.
Pharaoh ants prefer humid environments with substantial moisture. Leaking pipes, blocked drains, or simply excess humidity can contribute to pharaoh ants establishing a colony on your property.
How To Prevent Pharaoh Ants
An infestation of pharaoh ants can be incredibly difficult to get rid of. That’s why the best way to deal with pharaoh ants is to make sure you never get them in the first place. With a few basic prevention tips, you can help to defend your property from these troublesome little ants:
- Clean up often. Make sure there are no crumbs, scraps, spills, or food residue for pharaoh ants to find. Wipe down counters and tables after eating or cooking. Sweep and mop floors regularly.
- Dispose of trash properly. Use trash bins with tight-sealing lids to deter ants and other pests from getting in. Don’t leave open garbage bags or trash bins around the house and don’t let trash accumulate. Dispose of trash in outdoor bins as far from the property as reasonably possible.
- Use better storage containers. Keep pantry items in sturdy containers with tight-fitting lids. Heavy plastic is great for keeping out ants and small insects; however, you might want to invest in glass or metal containers to fend off rodents as well.
- Reduce moisture. Fix any leaking pipes or drainage issues causing moisture to accumulate indoors. Try installing a dehumidifier.
- Repair property damage. Check for any tears in screens and repair as needed. Seal any cracks in the foundation or gaps around pipes with silicone caulk.
If you’re experiencing problems with pharaoh ants in Alexander City, you don’t have to deal with it alone. Get in touch with the experts at Top Gun Pest Control for the relief you deserve from troublesome pests. We offer both residential and commercial pest control plans for our customers, and our services come with a pest-free guarantee. Contact us today to request your free inspection.