Alexander City Property Owner's Handy Termite Prevention Guide
There are over 20,000 species of edible plants around the world, many of which humans consume daily. One plant humans typically don’t eat, however, is trees. Granted, you could try to eat this plant, but it wouldn’t provide you with any nutritional value. Do you know who does get nutritional value from trees? Termites. These small, destructive insects love nothing more than infesting large structures of wood. To keep your Alexander City property safe from the damage termites cause, here is a handy prevention guide for you to use.
Understand How To Spot Termites
Termites are not like other pests and do not announce their presence when they enter into a home. Besides swarmers, you will never see these small insects crawling over your furniture, trying to steal food from your countertops, or anywhere else out in the open. For this reason, it is important to know the signs termites leave around homes. Here are a few.
- Pencil sized mud tubes running up your home’s exterior foundation.
- Tight-fitting doors/windows
- Progressively squeakier floorboards
- Bubbling wallpaper/paint
- Sagging water damaged drywall
- Termite swarmers or swarmer wings
Keep in mind that most signs termites leave behind only show up after they have been eating away at a structure for over a year. The best way to spot termites early is with a quality inspection performed by an expert.
Set Up A Line Of Defense
If your home does not currently have a termite infestation, the first thing you should be to put in place preventative measures. Here are some great ways to detract termites from invading your Alexander City property.
- Reduce clutter and eliminate organic debris from around your yard.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around your property.
- Remove tree stumps and fallen trees from your yard.
- Store untreated lumber and firewood at least 30 feet from your home.
- Make sure your gutters are clear, damage-free, and flowing properly.
- Address leaky piping and fixtures in and around your home.
- Repair or replace wood that is water damaged, rotting, or in decay.
- Make sure there is a non-wood barrier between exterior soil and the wood of your home.
- Use a caulking gun or some liquid cement to fill in holes, cracks, and gaps in your home’s exterior foundation.
Call In The Professionals
There is only one way to guarantee termites get and stay out of your Alexander City home, and that is with the help of a professional. At Top Gun, we pride ourselves on being at the top of the pest control industry. Our team only uses the most advanced pest exclusion tactics and field-leading pest control technologies when handling termite problems around properties. We also offer detailed inspections to help homeowners identify infestations and evaluate their risk of future problems.
Call or reach out to our team through our website today for any questions about our termite control or to schedule your Alexander City for a service visit.